Skip to main content

Falling for the right guy-Part II

Navya?”
“Uh, hi Vaibhav.” she replied.
“Umm.. Thank you for coming.” he said.
“Never mind! So, umm.. where do you want to go?”
“Let’s not go anywhere today. I have a little shopping to do. Help me out, will you?”
“Sure will.” she said, smiling a little.
“Let’s have something to eat first. I’m starving.” he said, returning her smile.
Her heart did a double flip-flop on the smile. They chose Nirula’s. By the time the food arrived, she knew a lot about Vaibhav. He was born and brought up in Delhi. His entire schooling was done from DPS, Indirapuram and his only aim ever since he was a child was to become a pilot. As she got to know him better, she felt the attraction rising. And every-time he smiled, she couldn’t do anything but stare. What was wrong with her, she thought!
When the time to pay the bill came, she announced that she’d share the bill.
“Oh, no, no, no! A gentleman never allows a lady to pay.” he said, vigorously shaking his head.
Navya couldn’t help but laugh.
“NO! We are not here on a date, so I can pay.” she said firmly.
“Well. Since we are here together, we might as well consider this a date.” he winked.
“No. I am paying, means, I am paying. Or you pay and I go back home.” she said very seriously.
“Fine.” he grumbled.
Navya smiled triumphantly at him. For the next two hours, they shopped for everyone of his family. She was pleased when he bought the shirts she liked. Two hours of shopping and she had not wanted to run away. Had she been with someone else, she would have bolted by now. Why? Because she hated shopping! But today, instead of hating, she had loved every minute of it.
“So, what now?” she asked.
“Now, that!” he said, pointing to his left.
“What?” she said turning.
And then, she was horrified.
“No. I will never do that.” she said.
“Come on! This isn’t something very serious. We’ll have fun.” he coaxed.
He was pointing towards a temporary dance floor which was setup at the centre of the second floor. For Navya, dance and fun were two different worlds altogether. She did not, could not dance. The only place where she really danced was her bathroom. People are bathroom singers, she was a bathroom rock-star. She had tried dancing when she was ten and again when she was seventeen and had come to the conclusion that she was just not meant to dance.
“No, Vaibhav. Dancing is not my cup of tea. I am a total failure when it comes to dancing. I just don’t know how to dance.” she said.
“Come on, everyone knows how to dance. Throw your hands in the air. Move a little and there you are.! What’s so difficult in it?” he asked.
She just shook her head.
“Please Navya? I let you pay the bill. And people aren’t going to notice us anyway! What’s the harm?” he pleaded.
You! You are going to notice me. You’re going to see me dance pathetically. That is the problem. She thought.
“Okay. Just once.” she said reluctantly.
He took her hand and took her to the dance floor before she could change her mind. Never had she danced, the way she did. For once, not caring how she looked, or, how bad her moves were. And she actually enjoyed it.
“Okay! I admit. You really are a pathetic dancer.” Vaibhav teased.
“See, I told you.”
“You enjoyed it?”
“Yes.”
“That’s what matters. Let’s go, watch a movie.” he smiled and she couldn’t help smiling.
At the ticket counter, Navya opened her purse to take money out for the tickets.
“What are you doing?” Vaibhav looked at her quizzically.
“Paying for the...”
“You’re paying for your ticket and I’m paying for mine? Next you’ll refuse to recognise me.” he said in mock horror.
“Extreme reaction! And well, I am paying for both our tickets.” she said.
“Okay. I got it. You have a lot of money. Secret treasure or something? You can give me a few grands if you want to but you’re definitely not going to pay for the tickets.”
“Okay, calm down. I won’t.” she said.
“And I have no secret treasure.” she winked.
Watching a movie was never so much fun. When she came out of the movie hall, she was still laughing.
“Oh! I have to go. It’s 6:30 already. It’ll take me at least an hour to reach home.” Navya looked at her watch.
“And how will you be going?”
“Ever heard of local trains?”
“Can’t you take a taxi?”
“No, no secret treasure, you see.”
“Oh! This means, I am not getting those few thousand bucks.” he shook his head in disappointment.
They both laughed.
“Now, I have to go. See you tomorrow.”
“Allow me to accompany you to the station at least.”
“Permission granted.”
They walked to the station.
“See you tomorrow, at 10.” he said.
“Mind telling me where!?” she asked.

“Marine Drive.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Only..!

The eyes that looked back at him were full of love and affection. No. The picture did not do justice to her beauty. The big, beautiful, gray eyes, always lined with kohl, the cute little nose and the nose stud she wore, the naturally pink lips all set in that heart-shaped face made her look like an angel. The smile, the dimples that the smile brought, the way her eyes brightened every time she smiled had taken his breath away every single time he’d looked at her, since the last sixteen years, ever since they were six, No camera in the world, no artist could ever capture her beauty.  He’d considered himself lucky to have her. To have her love. She’d promised to stay with him forever. Didn’t she tell him that no matter what, she’d always love him? Hadn’t she promised that even if he wanted her to leave, she wouldn’t because she loved him too much? Didn’t she tell him that she’ll never leave him alone? Then why? Why did she go? Why did she leave him when he hadn’t even asked her...

Parallel World

He ran across the court, dribbling the ball by his side. He blocked and took a tough shot at the basket. The ball balanced precariously on the ring as every single player stopp to watch it. As everyone gasped, it fell in, making him the star of the match. The girls who were sitting on the bleachers erupted in Ooh's and Aah's while his team mates ran up to pat him on the back. He was pretty excited and looked around at all the people cheering for him. As he was looking away, a girl at the end of the bleachers caught his sight. She had her earphones plugged and looked completely lost in a small thick book that she was reading. He found himself getting slightly annoyed at her lack of interest in what he'd just achieved. He turned around and started running across the court. He looked up at her again and saw her smiling at the book - and he found himself smiling at that. ---------------------- She sat at the far end of the bleachers, away from the rest of t...

Being A Desi Abroad- PART1

It's been a while since I wrote ! I know, was just going through a phase of writer's block :P  But then these two cracked me up and got me back on track :) This is nothing like my usual posts, no metaphors no fictions. My life has been a roller coaster ride for quite a few months now.   Ever since I entered the second year of my bachelor's I knew it wasn't going to be enough for me I wanted to be greedy to learn more, and I planned my MS.  This blog is about my own experiences of moving from a bustling, all too familiar life in Pune to a country I had only seen in movies and sitcoms. Maybe there are a few tips hidden along the way for anyone who is thinking of the move, never having been to the US before. I had finished all my applications, and was waiting for the results and enjoying the few months, I had left with my family, till the pandemic hit us. The entire uncertainty of the situation put me off completely. Though I got admits from all schools I really wanted to ...